Many people ask us what our financial policy is for the speaking ministry of Jim Elliff, our founder and president. This is a brief explanation. Other questions may be answered by communicating directly with Jim at the following address:
P.O. Box 12045
Parkville, MO 64152
Phone (816) 379-6840
- Jim speaks at churches and conferences without remuneration or compensation for his speaking, either for himself or the ministry. It is obvious that money comes to the ministry and to Jim through CCW in other ways, but we do not intend to take such as payment for our services. It is Jim’s intention to give to others as freely as he has received from God. Because of our sincere intention to serve you freely, any gifts that may be occasionally given will be considered other than compensation and without our solicitation. Jim is genuinely happy to serve all sizes of churches and conferences this way, with no financial expectation at all. It is important to say here that this policy is in no way an indication of lack of gratitude, but is a policy that Jim has lived by in an attempt to demonstrate that God alone can answer prayer and provide all that is needed for the ministry and his own family.
- Although it is the ministry’s stated policy that all gifts will come to us in answer to prayer and not by solicitation, we do understand that our policy has to be stated by leaders to the appropriate people or groups when they need to understand. It has been an exciting journey for Jim to see how God can open the hearts of individuals and groups to contribute to the ongoing work of CCW without asking anyone but God.
- We do ask that the church or organization, where possible, cover Jim’s travel (though see #4), lodging, and food. If this is impossible, please let us know and the ministry will gladly cover that expense as well. Usually Jim lets the church or ministry order the plane ticket. He prefers an aisle seat if available. Jim sometimes incurs additional expenses that add to the trip cost, such as car expense to the airport (approximately $15), parking fees (if needed), checked baggage fees (depending on the airline), and light meals in route.
- Whenever Jim travels to lead a Bible Intensive Retreat, CCW gladly covers the cost of travel (airfare or rental and gas) for Jim and his assistant to get to the retreat, though we ask that lodging and meals be covered by the church or organization that invited him.
- Occasionally a person will come to the pastor or leader on their own (unsolicited) desiring to give to Jim or to CCW. Since it is the ministry’s policy to receive unsolicited funds in answer to prayer, these gifts may be received. That gift may, in fact, be a very special answer to prayer! It should be noted that Jim and his family receive gifts personally only if they are designated as such. Christian Communicators Worldwide uses all undesignated checks for its operations and publications. It is helpful if either designated or undesignated checks be made out to CCW. It is permissible for these unsolicited gifts to be first given through the church or organization before being sent. A note indicating that the check contains unsolicited monies is helpful. There is a way to give through PayPal here. If you are able to indicate who provided the funds, then we can send a thank you.
- Jim is happy to stay in non-smoking motel room or a home depending on what is best for those who have invited him. It is always helpful if Jim can have as private a place as possible though. While always remaining flexible, it is also appreciated if Jim and his family can have use of their own bathroom if at all possible. It is easy to understand that thoughtful accommodations are a great help since Jim is away from home so often.
- Jim enjoys fellowship around the table with pastors, leaders, and the people of the churches and conferences he attends. Often, eating after the evening speaking engagement works well. However, this is not always possible. You may discuss this with Jim before his coming.
- Jim takes along a family member or intern on each trip. This means that lodging and meals for one additional person would be included in your expense. At times Jim is able to take more members of his entire family, especially when on some extended speaking tours. You may wish to talk this over with Jim. Usually such arrangements do not require but one motel room for the entire family. This arrangement allows Jim to continue to minister both to his family and those he is mentoring while on the road.
- On almost all trips Jim likes to offer his books and CDs at low conference prices (usually 40-50% of retail) in order to extend his ministry beyond the time of the speaking engagement. Please discuss this with Jim before coming. Usually this will involve providing some tables and helpers to take care of sales/inventory. Checks will be made out to the church or ministry in most cases. A further check can be made to CCW by the church or ministry holding the conference to cover what has been received. Often churches/ministries like to take advantage of the low conference prices to purchase some of the remaining items for their own use. Also, it is often makes better use of Jim’s visit to proceed or follow-up Jim’s visit by studying through one of his books in small groups such as Wasted Faith. Online discussion guides are available if this is a good option for you. Most of the time Jim is able to bring the books/CDs with him when he travels, depending on the size of the conference.
The board of CCW realizes that these financial and travel policies are somewhat unusual. Jim certainly does not expect that other conference speakers should follow his method, nor does he feel spiritually superior by doing it this way. He is concerned that the Lord would be honored in the way this ministry is conducted and that a testimony may be given about the love and provision of God.
The Board of Directors