If you would have eternal life, something must change. The man, woman or child who remains as he is will die forever.
The Gospel of John, from which all the following verses come, was given to present Christ and this eternal state. “Many other signs therefore Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book,” John wrote. “But these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.” (20:30-31) Will you die? Yes. Then what will happen eternally?
Man is rebellious by nature, breaks God’s laws and rejects God’s offer of salvation through Christ.
- “And this is the judgment, that the light is come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the light; for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the light, and does not come to the light, lest his deeds should be exposed. John 3:19-20
- He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and those who were His own did not receive Him. John 1: 10–11
- “The world . . . hates Me because I testify’ of it, that its deeds are evil.” John 7:7
- “You are of your father the devil, and you want to do the desires of your father. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. Whenever he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own nature; for he is a liar, and the father of lies. But because I speak the truth, you do not believe Me.” John 8:44-45
Man’s sin results in eternal condemnation in hell.
- Jesus answered and said to him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.” John 3:3
- “He who rejects Me, and does not receive My sayings, has one who judges him; the word I spoke is what will judge him at the last day.” John 12:48
- “If anyone does not abide in Me, he is thrown away as a branch, and dries up; and they gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned.” John 15:6
- …he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.” John 3:18
- “He who believes in the Son has eternal life; but he who does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God abides on him.” John 3:36
Jesus Christ, God in human flesh, came to Earth as the only solution to man’s problem.
- “I have come as light into the world, that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness.” John 12:46
- Again therefore Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world; he who follows Me shall not walk in the darkness, but shall have the light of life.” John 8:12
- “I came that they might have life, and might have it abundantly.” John 10:10
- “…and I give eternal life to them, and they shall never perish; and no one shall snatch them out of My hand.” John 10:28
- “. . . but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall become in him a well of water springing up to eternal life.” John 4:14
- “. . . even so the Son also gives life to whom He wishes.” John 5:21
Christ died on the cross taking on Himself the full penalty for the sins of all who come to Him. He was raised from the dead as proof that He is God and has conquered the power of sin and death.
- “Behold the Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!” John 1:29
- “I am the good shepherd; the good shepherd lays down His life for the sheep…No man has taken it away from Me, but I lay it down on My own initiative. I have authority to lay it down, and I have authority to take it up again.” John 10:11, 18a
- Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in Me shall live even if he dies, and everyone who lives and believes in Me shall never die.” John 11:25-26
- [After His resurrection] And when He had said this, He showed them both His hands and His side. The disciples therefore rejoiced when they saw the Lord. John 20:20
Rejecting your life of sin, you must believe in the Lord Jesus Christ alone to be delivered from death and to receive eternal life. To believe means more than to intellectually assent; it means that you must trust him alone as your only basis of assurance.
- “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” John 5:24
- And Jesus cried out and said, “He who believes in Me does not believe in Me, but in Him who sent me. And he who beholds Me beholds the One who sent Me. I have come as light into the world that everyone who believes in Me may not remain in darkness.” John 12:44-46
- “For God so loved the world, that he gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish, but have eternal life.” John 3:16
Acknowledge Your Present Condition
- You are a sinful person with no hope for eternal life except through Jesus Christ.
- You deserve judgment for your rebellion — eternal separation from God’s love in hell.
Accept Christ’s Full Provision for Your Sin
- Christ died as the sinless substitute for sinners like you, incurring God’s infinite wrath.
- He arose as victor over sin and death for all who come to Him.
Rely Completely on Christ as Your Salvation
- You must repent of your life of sin and turn to Christ as the Lord of your life.
- You must give your allegiance to Christ, believing in His words and His plan, trusting in Him alone as the only solution for your sin, your emptiness and your eternal future.
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who believes has eternal life.” John 6:47
What Will You Do?
Jesus said, “It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life. But there are some of you who do not believe…And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to me, unless it has been granted him from the Father.” As a result of this many of His disciples [here a crowd of curious followers] withdrew, and were not walking with Him anymore. Jesus said therefore to the twelve, “You do not want to go away also, do you?” Simon Peter answered Him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life. And we have believed and have come to know that You are the Holy One of God.” John 6:63-71